Orthodontists are a dentist who basically deal with malocclusion. Malocclusion refers to the condition which happens when the teeth aren’t in the right position whenever the mouth is closed. This often results in the improper bite. The orthodontist usually deals with making the teeth straight. It may include a cosmetic treatment that can effectively help to enhance the look of the individual. Mostly, the orthodontist treats the matter to enhance the proper function.
Types of treatment
An orthodontist usually works towards improving the following teeth problems:
- Enhancing the chewing and speech activity
- Preventing the risk of long-term damage to the teeth
- Improving the aligning of tips of the teeth
- Filling up the wide gaps of the teeth
- Improving the healthy functioning of teeth as well as gums
- Curing the improper bite of the teeth
- Treating the crooked teeth and straightening it
The treatment of an orthodontist will not only improve the look but also help to improve the functioning of the teeth. It is of great help for chewing and speeding up the function. It also prevents the teeth from any kind of damage. The orthodontist treatment also helps to prevent tooth decay.
In order to treat the malocclusion disorders, the orthodontist usually works with several kinds of tools such as braces, plates, headgears and so on.
The patients who should see an orthodontist
If you are undergoing any kind of dental disorder regarding the alignment of the teeth you should ensure to see an orthodontist. Nevertheless, an orthodontist is a kind of dentist. Malocclusion usually occurs when the teeth aren’t developed or aligned in the correct manner. The teeth may not be aligned because of the misalignment or crookedness. As a result, they do not perfectly fit with each other.
Malocclusion isn’t a disease that can harm the health. It is the slight difference in the variation of the teeth. The misalignment of teeth does have an impact on the overall appearance which often leads to embarrassment. People suffering from malocclusion are more subjected to lowered self-confidence and depression.
It may often lead to injured teeth and facial bones. Some of the other consequences of malocclusion of teeth may include continuous sucking of thumb or finger. It may even have a severe impact on speech, eating and maintenance of hygiene of the teeth.
An orthodontic can be of great help in solving the following disorders
- Crossbite: When the teeth aren’t aligned properly, the upper teeth don’t place itself correctly in front of the lower teeth on being clenched. They often reach out to the tongue or cheek.
- Protruding front teeth: The Milton orthodontist can be of great help in improving the facial structural by treating the protruding front teeth. It will help in preventing any kind of damages. The facial appearance would improve too when the teeth are aligned properly.
- Impacted teeth: This is the result of improper development of teeth and gums in adults. Sometimes they emerge partially in case of adults. However, an orthodontist can be of great help in solving this problem.
- Deep Bite: This is also known as overbite. It happens when the upper tooth doesn’t come down enough for the lower ones, on being clenched.
- Underbite: This is the kind of disorder when the upper teeth are placed too back to the lower teeth.
- Crowding: There may not be enough space for the teeth to fit themselves in because of the presence of many teeth that leads to crowding. The orthodontist may then help to make space for the teeth. They may either remove one or more teeth in order to treat the problem.
- Asymmetrical teeth: This is one of the most common kind of disorder. Asymmetrical teeth usually happen when the upper and lower teeth are not aligned in the proper manner. This usually happens when the mouth is closed.
- Spacing: While there may be no room left for teeth due to crowding, there are possibilities of gaps between the teeth due to the missing tooth or so on. It may also happen when the teeth fail sufficient to fill up the mouth.
- Open bite: This is the disorder which happens when there is a wide gap between the upper and lower teeth when the mouth is clenched.
One of the common mistakes that leads to the malocclusion or misalignment of teeth is the habit of thumb-sucking. Thumb-sucking may damage the supporting bones of teeth. If you are prone to the habit of thumb-sucking, you should stop doing so. This will help to treat malocclusion in a natural way. It may be of great help to prevent the possibilities of malocclusion.
Apart from curing these problems, the orthodontist can be of great help in solving other problems such as clenching or grinding of teeth. They can also help to treat the clicking and moving of jaw. You should ensure to see an orthodontist if you have been suffering from any of the above-mentioned problems.